playze is a network of local architecture studios in berlin (germany), shanghai (china) and zurich (switzerland). it is a project to explore the possibilities of mobility, intercultural exchanges and global market niches. its activities in spatial design range from teaching and research to the classical execution of the practice of architecture.
the studio was founded in 2007 by pascal berger, he mengjia and marc schmit. since the beginning, the focus of the studio has been on various scales of projects, ranging from large urban planning to miniature interior projects, whereas the design approach always stayed the same: integrative play with the physiology and morphology of urban environments is the primary technique to connect global networks with local identities. it was therefore a strategic decision to establish the studios in different countries, building an international team capable of bridging the cultural differences between europe and asia.
the work of playze includes one of the biggest organic farms in china, the german pavilion for the expo 2010 in shanghai (as local architect), a thermal bath in luxembourg, an urban planning museum in ningbo, as well as several other built architectural and urban projects in asia and europe. the work of the studio has been widely published in magazines and online platforms like domus, detail, designboom, dezeen and perspective. the tony’s farm project has been selected by designboom as one of the 10 best container projects worldwide.
playze is also active in the academic field. pascal berger acted as academic director of the university of hong kong, shanghai study centre. marc schmit directed the master theses at alice, epfl in lausanne, switzerland. he mengjia is teaching at jiaotong university in shanghai.
playze is registered in the architecture chambers of switzerland, germany and luxembourg and thus can provide full architectural services in these countries.
in china, playze is a registered architecture consultant company with strong relations to LDI’s.
our main services:
furniture and exhibition design
conctruction site supervision
specialised local and global planning teams and high quality contractors
1 a particular position, point, or area in space; a location.
• a particular area on a larger surface.
• a building or area used for a specified purpose or activity.
• informal a person's home.
• a point in a book or other text reached by a reader at a particular time.
2 a portion of space designated or available for or being used by someone.
• a vacancy or available position.
• the regular or proper position of something.
• a person's rank or status.
• [ usu. with negative ] a right or privilege resulting from someone's role or position.
• the role played by or importance attached to someone or something in a particular context.
3 a position in a sequence or series, typically one ordered on the basis of merit.
• Brit.any of the first three or sometimes four positions in a race (used especially of the second, third, or fourth positions).
• N. Amer.the second position, especially in a horse race.
• the degree of priority given to something.
• the position of a figure in a series indicated in decimal or similar notation, especially one after the decimal point.
4 [ in place names ] a square or short street.
• a country house with its grounds.
1 [ no obj. ] engage in activity for enjoyment and recreation rather than a serious or practical purpose.
• [ with obj. ] engage in (a game or activity) for enjoyment.
• amuse oneself by engaging in imaginative pretence.
• (play at) engage in without proper seriousness or understanding.
• (play with) treat inconsiderately for one's own amusement.
• (play with) fiddle or tamper with.
• [ with negative or in questions ] (be playing at) used to convey one's irritation at someone's actions or one's failure to understand their motives.
2 [ with obj. ] take part in (a sport).
• participate in (a sporting match or contest)
• compete against (another player or team) in a sporting match.
• [ no obj. ] be part of a team, especially in a specified position, in a sporting contest..
• strike (a ball) or execute (a stroke) in a game.
• [ no obj., with adverbial ] (of a cricket ground) be in such condition as to have a specified effect on play.
• assign to take part in a match, especially in a specified position.
• move (a piece) or display (a playing card) in one's turn in a game.
• bet or gamble at or on.
3 [ no obj. ] [ usu. with negative ] be cooperative.
4 [ with obj. ] represent (a character) in a theatrical performance or a film.
• [ no obj. ] perform in a film or theatrical production.
• put on or take part in (a theatrical performance, film, or concert).
• give a dramatic performance at (a particular theatre or place).
• behave as though one were (a specified type of person).
• (play someone for) treat someone as being of (a specified type).
5 [ with obj. ] perform on (a musical instrument).
• possess the skill of performing on (a musical instrument).
• produce (notes) from a musical instrument; perform (a piece of music).
• make (a record, record player, radio, etc.) produce sounds.
• [ no obj. ] (of a musical instrument, record, record player, etc.) produce sounds.
• [ with obj. and adverbial of direction ] accompany (someone) with music as they are moving in a specified direction.
6 [ no obj. ] move lightly and quickly, so as to appear and disappear; flicker.
• (of a fountain or similar source of water) emit a stream of gently moving water.
7 [ with obj. ] allow (a fish) to exhaust itself pulling against a line before reeling it in.
definitions taken from the Oxford English Dictionary
playze switzerland gmbh
zur gempenfluh 56
Handelsregister des Kantons Basel-Stadt Hauptregister
Geschäftsführer: dipl. Arch ETH Pascal Berger
Mitglied des SIA Zürich
playze switzerland gmbh ist Mitglied im OAI, Luxemburg
playze berlin gmbh
choriner str 50
t +49 30 2759 5039
f +49 30 8187 8760
HRB 176107 B
Handelsregister Amtsgericht Berlin-Charlottenburg
Geschäftsführer: dipl. Arch ETH Marc Schmit
Mitglied der Architektenkammer Berlin
Mitglied des SIA Zürich
M.Arch He Mengjia
Class 1 reg. Architect PR China
lic. rer. pol. Ronald Hauser
© 2017 playze