playze is an architectural practice with studios in Basel, Berlin, and Shanghai. It was founded in 2007 by Pascal Berger from Switzerland, Mengjia He from China, and Marc Schmit from Luxembourg. Our various backgrounds make playze inherently transcultural, with friendship and respect across boundaries underpinning everything we do.
Our inspiration comes from a deep engagement with the different countries and cultures in which we operate, and finds its way into projects spanning large-scale urban planning to compact interior architecture and exhibition design. Delivering these varied projects are teams specialised in their local environments, and at the same time connected on a transcultural level. To do justice to this way of working, playze is a multipolar organisation without hierarchies between its studio locations.
In 2021, we expanded our network by founding playze timber in collaboration with Maximilian Schröder as co-founder. playze timber focuses on the design of rigorously sustainable timber projects.
playze is also active in the academic field. pascal berger acted as academic director of the university of hong kong, shanghai study centre. marc schmit directed the master theses at alice, epfl in lausanne, switzerland. he mengjia is teaching at tongji university in shanghai.
playze is registered in the architecture chambers of switzerland, germany and luxembourg and thus can provide full architectural services in these countries.
in china, playze is a registered architecture consultant company with strong relations to LDI’s.
our main services:
furniture and exhibition design
conctruction site supervision
specialised local and global planning teams and high quality contractors
1 a particular position, point, or area in space; a location.
• a particular area on a larger surface.
• a building or area used for a specified purpose or activity.
• informal a person's home.
• a point in a book or other text reached by a reader at a particular time.
2 a portion of space designated or available for or being used by someone.
• a vacancy or available position.
• the regular or proper position of something.
• a person's rank or status.
• [ usu. with negative ] a right or privilege resulting from someone's role or position.
• the role played by or importance attached to someone or something in a particular context.
3 a position in a sequence or series, typically one ordered on the basis of merit.
• Brit.any of the first three or sometimes four positions in a race (used especially of the second, third, or fourth positions).
• N. Amer.the second position, especially in a horse race.
• the degree of priority given to something.
• the position of a figure in a series indicated in decimal or similar notation, especially one after the decimal point.
4 [ in place names ] a square or short street.
• a country house with its grounds.
1 [ no obj. ] engage in activity for enjoyment and recreation rather than a serious or practical purpose.
• [ with obj. ] engage in (a game or activity) for enjoyment.
• amuse oneself by engaging in imaginative pretence.
• (play at) engage in without proper seriousness or understanding.
• (play with) treat inconsiderately for one's own amusement.
• (play with) fiddle or tamper with.
• [ with negative or in questions ] (be playing at) used to convey one's irritation at someone's actions or one's failure to understand their motives.
2 [ with obj. ] take part in (a sport).
• participate in (a sporting match or contest)
• compete against (another player or team) in a sporting match.
• [ no obj. ] be part of a team, especially in a specified position, in a sporting contest..
• strike (a ball) or execute (a stroke) in a game.
• [ no obj., with adverbial ] (of a cricket ground) be in such condition as to have a specified effect on play.
• assign to take part in a match, especially in a specified position.
• move (a piece) or display (a playing card) in one's turn in a game.
• bet or gamble at or on.
3 [ no obj. ] [ usu. with negative ] be cooperative.
4 [ with obj. ] represent (a character) in a theatrical performance or a film.
• [ no obj. ] perform in a film or theatrical production.
• put on or take part in (a theatrical performance, film, or concert).
• give a dramatic performance at (a particular theatre or place).
• behave as though one were (a specified type of person).
• (play someone for) treat someone as being of (a specified type).
5 [ with obj. ] perform on (a musical instrument).
• possess the skill of performing on (a musical instrument).
• produce (notes) from a musical instrument; perform (a piece of music).
• make (a record, record player, radio, etc.) produce sounds.
• [ no obj. ] (of a musical instrument, record, record player, etc.) produce sounds.
• [ with obj. and adverbial of direction ] accompany (someone) with music as they are moving in a specified direction.
6 [ no obj. ] move lightly and quickly, so as to appear and disappear; flicker.
• (of a fountain or similar source of water) emit a stream of gently moving water.
7 [ with obj. ] allow (a fish) to exhaust itself pulling against a line before reeling it in.
definitions taken from the Oxford English Dictionary
playze switzerland gmbh
Handelsregister des Kantons Basel-Stadt Hauptregister
Geschäftsführer: dipl. Arch ETH Pascal Berger
Mitglied des SIA Basel
playze switzerland gmbh ist Mitglied im OAI, Luxemburg
playze berlin gmbh
schwedter strasse 41
t +49 30 2759 5039
f +49 30 8187 8760
HRB 176107 B
Handelsregister Amtsgericht Berlin-Charlottenburg
Geschäftsführer: dipl. Arch ETH Marc Schmit
Mitglied der Architektenkammer Berlin
Mitglied des SIA Zürich
M.Arch He Mengjia
Class 1 reg. Architect PR China
© 2022 playze